Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tips for Team Broccoli

Hi Team Broccoli-

In light of our discussion last night regarding meal planning, the best advice I can give is to plan ahead. Know what and when you're going to eat before you're hungry. I know we all have busy schedules so here are a couple of things you may want to think about doing for time and effeminacy. 

1. Cook and portion your meals once or twice a week rather than everyday.

2. Time your meals so that you can eat every 3-4 hours...for example I eat at 5am, 8am, 11am, etc until 7pm. I already know exactly what and how much I'm eating at each meal so I look forward to it. It makes it a lot easier to say no to snacking in between meals and it takes out all guess work and decision making at meal time. My fridge is full of little ziploc bags filled with steamed asparagus, and green beans, small containers of baked sweet potatoes and chicken or tuna.

3.Take your food with you. If I could I find an insulated purse I would use it as a purse and lunch bag, for now I carry two bags everywhere I go...I don't stress about missing a meal or not having time to grab something to eat. Your trusty lunch bag will always have "your" food in it. Every morning when I fill up my bag, I think, "wow, this is a lot of food." But, by 7pm the bag is empty and I'm satisfied knowing that my body got the nutrition it needed. All I had to do was open the bag and eat every 3 hours, even if that meant eating in my car or while on the gym floor (shh, please don't tell:), or while cleaning house. Remember the fitness challenge is about you, so prioritize your needs and make it happen for you!

4. The 90, 10 Rule. 90% of the time be a "robot" about your food, think of strictly as fuel to keep your body running at it's optimum. The other 10% of the time continue to make food choices with your health in mind, but if your craving some chocolate, then have some chocolate. Learn to listen to your body and give it the healthy fuel it wants and needs.

Keep up the great work!

No comments:

Post a Comment