Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chico 2012, Why I Compete...

Hi All-

I did it! I competed for the first time in 2012 with a shaved head. As you could imagine I got several strange looks and lots of questions (most women who compete in figure have beautiful hair), but the best part was that I actually received a lot of positive questions and genuine inquiries as to why I shaved my head. It was great to be able to talk about St. Baldrick's Foundation and the work they do, most people assumed I donated my hair to Lock's of Love, which is another great foundation, but already very well known so it was a great to expose more people to St. Baldrick's and their efforts.





I did not place top 3 in the show, but had a wonderful time with the girls and Cathi. The judges did a great job and I couldn't agree more with their decisions across the board. While at the show I had some down time to put in to words why I compete. I came to terms with my love/hate relationship with Figure and Bodybuilding competitions; I hate them because there's nothing measurable in the competition. There's no "real" score, there's no feat of strength preformed on stage and it's not really a competition of athleticism. The winner is determined solely by appearance and that's scary to me. I'm confident in my athletic abilities and I feel comfortable speaking in front of large audiences, but I rarely take the time think or care about what others think about my appearance. Doing figure competitions makes me focus on something I've never liked to focus on and it challenges me in a way that nothing else ever has. I know being "knocked kneed" and thick in the thighs is not desired for figure competitions, I know having a shaved head is not conventional for females, I know clapping for other competitors while on stage is not what I'm "supposed" to do, but I do it anyways because it's my little way of showing others that it's ok to be yourself and it's ok to be judged by other's as long as you embrace your body, mind and soul. Give yourself a hug, Happy Mother's Day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment