Friday, May 4, 2012

Are you a Superwoman?

Most of my clients are females and most of them are "superwomen." They're mothers, full time workers, cooks, maids, pet owners, care takers and philanthropists. They're truly amazing. They do SO many things for SO many people and they still manage to get a work out in. I'm honored to know and work with these women, but often these women who sacrifice SO much for others tell me that they feel guilty for taking time for themselves. I'm hear to remind you that you're worth it too and please don't let your long "to-do list" tell you otherwise! You may be thinking, "Brittany, you don't have any kids and working out is part of your profession." You're right, I don't, but I do have a mom and she was a superwomen too.

My mom and I are also best friends, in fact, she and other people used called me her shadow:) Recently we talked about what/if she would have done differently if she could go back in time and do her life all over. At first she did not answer, but after a moment she said she would have spent more time for herself. I didn't ask what she meant, I simply said I hope you're finding the time now. My mom was not talking about spending money on herself or doing lavish self rewarding things. She simply meant MORE TIME FOR HERSELF.

Frequently we get so wrapped up in work, family, and life in general that we loose track of ourselves. We don't stop and think about the things that matters most like our mental, physical or emotional state. These things determine how we interact with our loved ones, how well we preform at work and how confident we feel about ourselves. I challenge you to change your perspective, for one moment everyday stop looking outward and start looking inward. Until you can address your needs, you can't tackle the needs of others. It's like "putting the cart before the horse," you can only push the cart so far before you've completely exhausted yourself.

So to all you "Superwomen," in honor of Mothers Day, give yourself the gift of time. Stop and take some time for you. Sit, read a book, go for a walk, take a deep breathe and embrace yourself for all the wonderful  things you do.  Happy Mother's Day to all the Superwomen out there and especially to mine!
 

2 comments:

  1. Awe...what a nice homage to your Mom! Thanks for sharing Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie- Thank you! Yes, she is amazing!

    ReplyDelete