Sunday, October 27, 2013

Is it Normal to Feel Passionate About Food?

I was visiting my sister in Boston this week and we're both food lovers. We went to an amazing wine dinner where they pair each wine with a complimentary dish. The food and wine was wonderful and I tried a couple of things I've never had, one of the things I really enjoyed was a winter squash mousse. Someday in a future post I intend on recreating it!

My sister and I talked about my eating disorders from the past. Although I believe they will always with me, my relationship with food right now is very nice and I really enjoy talking about it. We talked about how wonderful food is and how it can create a mood or atmosphere, bring back memories and draw family together. I believe it's a GREAT thing to be passionate about food, but I also believe in being passionate about REAL FOOD! That means hand made and fresh ingredients. Here's why I think being passionate about food is not only a good thing, but actually a great thing that can make you healthier:

1. Being passionate about food makes you more picky (in a good way) about your choices. You don't just eat because it's there (i.e. the office candy dish), but you eat for fulfillment and enjoyment.

2. You take the time to savor each bite rather than scarfing it down without enjoying it (you're also present of mind and body when you eat, not in front of the TV or computer).

3. You care about where you're food comes from. You buy fresh produce from farmers markets or a local store because it actually taste better than Wal-Mart produce and you want to support local agriculture (saving $ is a bonus at the farmers market).

4. You enjoy you're food with family, which means you wait for meal time rather than mindlessly snacking alone throughout the day. Meal time is happy time, bonding time and SOOOO important.

5. Because you're passionate about food, you're family (maybe children too) eat healthier. They are conscious of their food choices because you talk about how important good nutrition is!

While I was in Boston I was reminded of how important meal time is, my schedule makes it very hard to enjoy meals with family or friends, but it's a priority for me right now. Those meals are so important! With out further ado...here's what Seth and I will be eating tonight with a glass Tempranillo:

Creamy Spinach Artichoke Crockpot Chicken (if you don't do dairy this chicken is still great without the cheese!)

Ingredients:
1.5-2lbs Chicken Breast (fresh or frozen) (diced in to 1 inch cubes or shred after cooked)
1 cup Apple Cider vinegar
1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil (EVOO)
1 12oz Bag Fresh Spinach
10 oz Frozen Spinach
1 can quatered artichokes
1/2  Package (4 oz)  Neufchatel or Cream Cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
3 oz Mozzarella Cheese
12 oz Mushrooms (baby bella or white button)
3 cloves Crushed Garlic
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Put Chicken, both vinegars, 1 Tbsp of EVOO, 1 Tbsp crushed garlic, 1/4 cup diced white onion, canned artichokes, and frozen spinach in Crokpot on low for 4 hours. (salt and pepper if you wish)

2. Saute 1 Tbsp EVOO with the rest of the crushed garlic and onion. Salt and pepper to taste. Add fresh spinach and let the spinach wilt. Remove from heat.

3. When the chicken is thoroughly cooked drain the liquid. Add the sauteed mushrooms, garlic, onions and spinach. Then stir in neufchatel or cream cheese, mozzarella and Parmesan.

4.  Set the crock pot to low and let flavors and come together for 30 minutes to and 1 hour.

5. Enjoy with crusty whole wheat bread, brown rice, spaghetti squash or pasta!

Before liquid is drained and before "creaminess" added.

After liquid is drained and with "creaminess" mixed in!

I wrote most of this before dinner and finished it after. I have to tell you Seth and I both LOVED it, we each had about 1.5 servings and our plates are wiped clean!

1 serving/Recipe above serves 8
Calories: 225
Fat: 8.3
Cho: 14.3
Pro: 39.7

No comments:

Post a Comment